Saturday, July 14, 2007

At last!

Here is the pattern to those Cabled/Braided Handwarmers that I posted a picture of below. Be warned: this is my first ever posted knitting pattern, so please let me know if anything is unclear or if it doesn't work out correctly. The main reason for this is that I do not have the pair of handwarmers myself (I gave them to The Sister), and I have lost my knitting notebook that has my notes. So I was forced to recreate the handwarmers on many sheets of graph paper to get the stitch count correct, etc.

You may kill me when I say this, but due to much confusion and my notes disappearing, I cannot recall exactly the needle size I used. However, I'm pretty sure that I used 4.00mm (US size 6) dpn needles. If this does not work, I suggest. . . well, I'll have to figure out what I suggest later. The Sister returns in September, so perhaps I can take another look at the handwarmers, or if my notebook pops up with the needle size, etc, I will post again.

Tools:
1 skein sport weight yarn
4.00mm (US6) dpn needles
1 cable needle
1 darning needle to weave in loose ends, etc.

Directions:

1.
Cast on 48 st using your desired method. I used the cable cast-on.. Divide onto three dpn needles with 20 stitches on the first needle and 16 stitches on the last two. Join in the round and work in k2, p2 ribbing for one inch.

2.
Transfer four stitches from Needle #2 to Needle #1.
Needle #1: K2, p2, until the last four stitches. Then k2tog, k1, p2. 23 Stitches on Needle 1, 12 on Needle #2, 16 on Needle #3. I know it seems a strange balance, but that is how it comes out.
Needles #2&3: K2, p2 as before.

3.
Follow the below chart pattern three times.


4.
Needle #1: Follow the first row in the cable pattern.
Needle #2: Bind off eight stitches for the thumb hole. K2, p2.
Needle #3: K2, p2, as before.

Next Row:
Needle #1: Row 2 of cable pattern.
Needle #2: Cast on eight stitches. K2, p2.
Needle #3: K2, p2, as before.

5.
Then continue as before with the first needle in the cable pattern, and k2, p2 ribbing on the last two needles. When the cable pattern is finished (for a grand total of four times throughout), begin k2, p2 ribbing on the first needle, increasing one stitch in the last pair of knit stitches. So it will be:

Needle #1: K2, p2 to the last three stitches. Knit through the front and back of the knit stitch to increase, p2.
Needle #2&3: K2, p2, as before.

6.
Work in k2, p2, ribbing on all needles for 1 1/2 inches and bind off. Weave in loose ends.

And that's it, folks. If there are any mistakes please let me know, I'll be more than happy to revise the pattern and fix it.

Until next time,
Gerti

4 comments:

Fairytale Frog said...

Thank you so much for writing this out, I'm sorry it was so much work with the missing notebook and all that. I have yarn picked otu for this already and will be knitting it as soon as I can get the yarn, the pattern and the 4mm needles all in the same spot at the same time :)

Thank you so much! And I agree, the US have some lovely metal sock needles ... I want them! But for now I can't even find bad ones over here to try!

Unknown said...

I actually suggest casting on 48 stitches, not 52, unless you have large hands (mine are pretty average). . . I'm knitting them right now with Noro Silk Garden, and it's just not coming out right. . . I might just have to shrink them up a bit. I hope you enjoy them!

I know it's a ways from Belfast, but Dublin has some nice knitting stores, so next time you find yourself five hours south of Belfast (ha ha), you should stop in around This Is Knit (this is where my sister buys me beautifully chunky hand-dyed yarns). Unfortunately I do not have their address, but if you can give me a heads up before you head on down, I'm sure I can get their address or directions or something.

Good luck!

rika said...

The shop called This Is Knit is down in Blackrock--if you get on the Dart from Pearse St. in Dublin it will take you right to the stop and from there you just walk into the town and there are signs from the market. They also sell things online.

There's also the Blarney Woolen Mills on the north side of the Liffey, near the Ha'penny Bridge; they have a bigger selection of needles.

Surely there are yarn shops in Belfast! I think there is one in Bangor, actually, but it has been about a dozen years since I was there. I don't remember where it is:(

Good luck, tho!

Anonymous said...

Keep up the good work.