Monday, April 16, 2007

Cabled & Ribbed Hand/Wrist-Warmers.

My sister, who lives in the frozen city of Dublin, Ireland, has a constant request for armwarmers. This is great for me, as I knit them constantly, and I love having someone to wear them around and 'advertise' for me. Well, Rika (the aforementioned sister), has a 'thing' for gray wool, be it laceweight, bulky or sport-weight. Having a skein of sport-weight gray wool in my stash, I thought I'd try my hand at knitting some braided and cabled handwarmers that could be worn in spring as well as winter. I created the pattern myself, combining my traditional handwarmer elements with a cabled braid pattern. These are very simple and straightforward. There is no thumb, so you don't have to worry about increasing and decreasing. One can easily be knit during a 3 or 4 hour period, or a pair for a movie marathon :)

I will post the directions soon. If I forget, you have my permission to prod and poke me.

2 comments:

Fairytale Frog said...

*prod* *poke*

As I think these look lovely, live a little North of your sister in Belfast (which is just as freezing), love cabling and was celebrating my birthday when you posted this, I'm feeling some affinity with these handwarmers ... please post the instructions and let me revel in them :)

Thank you! (oh and I'd love to hear more from you)

Unknown said...

Thanks! I feel horrible for not putting the directions up. I have them written down in one of my many notebooks.

I didn't know anybody ever looked at this! I am currently traveling overseas, but as soon as I return I shall post them up. The directions are relatively simple, very uncomplicated, and they knit up extremely fast.

~Gerti